Monday, April 18, 2011

Frugal Baby Gift

Inspired by the gifts we received following the birth of our children, I have developed what I think is a lovely baby gift...and one that doesn't break the bank. Following a child's birth, I send a card welcoming the little one into the world and extend an offer to bring over a home cooked meal to the family.....and not in the first few weeks. I know, from personal experience, that the 3rd, 4th, 5th months after an arrival are sometimes the most difficult. Sleep deprivation has taken its toll and the "high" of a birth has faded. And in many cases so has the help from others. That is when I like to deliver:
  • soup (black bean, chicken tortilla, or split pea);
  • fresh baked bread from our bread machine; and
  • homemade cookies.
These are all standards in my kitchen, so I have all the ingredients. I also use containers that do not need to be returned; much easier for the parents. My toddler loves to help add ingredients and the baby giggles as we hand her various cooking items. It is a great way to pass a morning with your kids. And the end result is a thoughtful and welcomed gift to the family. If you want to add a material item, lotions, soaps, or a gift card make for an easy to transport package. I also offer to lend a hand with the new baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment