Monday, April 11, 2011

Healthy Fast Food for a Toddler -- Grab a Sweet Potato

Saving time and money, those are two of my favorite things. However, I have two small children, so both are a challenge some days. Feeding my children healthy food is a strong desire of mine, and a feat my son often seeks to thwart. He is 2 and a half. Meal times are less than pleasant at times. More meals than not, we sit down, light a candle (a great little trick I picked up at the Waldorf play group…nothing getssa little boy to the table faster than fire), and put the meal on the plate….or in his case, tray. Usually he has helped me prepare the food, something he loves to do. I’ve read that having a child participate in cooking the food, increases the chances that he or she will actually eat the food. Not the case here. So, what to do when 7pm is approaching and your son (who goes to bed late and rises early – rooster early) hasn’t eaten dinner? I know an empty stomach is a surefire way to have a hungry toddler calling your name in the middle of the night. The baked sweet potato – that is my silver bullet. Drop it in a nifty microwave bag, nuke it for 5 minutes, lather on some butter, and voila, you have Super Fast Food that he’ll devour ….at least for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment