Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kids Clothing & Garage Sales

During my first pregnancy I became an expert at finding baby clothes at garage sales, rummage sales, and "Mom" sales (usually associated with a mom's group). It was great; quality clothing for a fraction of the price in the store. Before my son arrived I had bins full of clothes, sorted by size, up through 2T. However, by the time my son reached age 18 months I was expecting our second child (they are 23 months apart) and the bargains at these types of sales stopped. Why? My tastes didn't change and I did not suddenly demand new clothing. No, I was not able to bring my son along to the sales. They either said "no kids allowed" or it simply wasn't practical. What to do? I didn't want to hire a sitter to go bargain shopping; any savings I'd reap would be eaten up in sitter fees. Trying to work "garage saling" into Saturdays when my husband was home didn't work well either -- he works a lot, and our family time together is precious. So, I've taken a hiatus from these types of sales. Instead, I frequently visit second hand stores. They have carts and I can bring the two kids along. Or, if I have a break between client meetings I make a quick stop if a store in nearby. It is amazing what you can accomplish when you have a spare hour.

My favorite second hand stores for kids clothes are:
  1. Savers
  2. Goodwill
  3. St. Vincent de Pauls
Anyone have a gem I haven't found?

No comments:

Post a Comment