Sunday, April 17, 2011

Salvaging Meals From the Freezer

My last trip to the grocery store came in at half the normal price! We are executing our plan to use up some of the food in our freezer, fridge, and cupboards. I love to buy fresh produce, but sadly toss too much because we don't eat it before it goes bad. Friday night I decided to put that beautiful produce to use.

The acorn squash was sliced in half, scrapped free of seeds, placed upside down in a baking dish with 2 cups water and baked at 350 degrees for one hour. I scooped out the insides, blended them in the food processor and added a little butter. Yummy veggies for the baby, the toddler, and the parents. This was paired with mashed potatoes, also found on the counter, and Swedish meatballs for me and my son and a Walnut burger I found in the fridge for my husband (the vegetarian).

For dessert there was homemade applesauce. A week earlier I bought a bag of red delicious apples for $3; on special at Target. The price was right, but I ignored the fact that my son and I favor Macintosh....so this bag was just sitting there. We put them to good use by turning them into a warm and yummy applesauce.
  • peel and core the apples, slice in quarters;
  • dump into crock pot;
  • add 1/2cup water;
  • add cinnamon and nutmeg;
  • put on high for 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment