Friday, April 1, 2011

Vegetarian Black Bean Soup

As the mother of two young children (2 1/2 years and 8 months old), an attorney with a part-time estate planning and probate practice, and the wife of an entrepreneur, simple, fast, and healthy meals are my favorite. These meals also tend to cost very little, allowing us to put money towards other priorities. Dinner tonight - Vegetarian Black Bean Soup, whole wheat bread, and corn.

The soup is simple, combine: 2 cans black beans, 1 jar salsa, and 2 cups vegetable broth. Simmer for 20 minutes. Garnish with sour cream or cheese. This can easily be converted for meat eaters (I am one) by using chicken broth and tossing in a cup or two of shredded chicken (great for using up leftovers).

The bread was made in our bread maker (given to us by an aunt who no longer used it). Check out any thrift store (Goodwill, St. Vincent de Paul, Savers, etc.) and you'll likely find several models for around $10. Google the model name and you can download the instruction booklet. While making homemade bread may sound time consuming, it really isn't. And it is great entertainment for a toddler. My son loves to help toss in the ingredients. Word of caution, when a toddler is tossing in ingredients, be certain that nothing hits the heating element....if it does, you'll have a smoking bread machine...I write from experience. Total prep time, 15 minutes, and that was while carrying the baby in a sling and supervising my toddler.

Finally, frozen corn boiled in water.

Total cost of dinner, less than $10.


1 comment:

  1. I'm eating it right now. It's really good. It's undoing the Mountain Dew Voltage I drank today while I was designing electronics.

    Melinda's food makes me feel healthy. I would pay at least $7 for it if it were in a vending machine.

    ReplyDelete