Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Breakfast Egg Sandwiches

My husband eats a lot of eggs, I mean a lot! He is a vegetarian, so they are a primary source of protein for him. Since moving back to Madison in 2004 he ate 2 egg and bagel sandwiches in the morning. He biked to work and would stop at a local bagel shop. Then we got married, and his bagel habit was wedded with my ability to cook. What did that mean? Well, let's just say the bagel shop is no longer a routine stop for him. Every now and then he'll make a stop, especially if life was too crazy for me to cook (i.e. in the months after having a baby). But now we have a good system, I make 10 bagel sandwiches at a time. And they have added veggies, making them healthier to boot.

I bought 4 egg rings right after we were married, and 5 years later we are still using them. The process:
  • heat frying pan;
  • put down ring and spray with cooking spray;
  • break egg in dish, stir, pour into ring;
  • add chopped veggies (peppers, mushrooms, spinach, or onion work well) and shredded cheese;
  • flip egg;
  • slide on to waiting bagel;
  • after cooling put in freezer bag.

After doing this for so long I have a nice routine, and my husbands $5 or $6 a day bagel habit has been replaced. I estimate the cost of these sandwiches is about is less than a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment