Sunday, June 26, 2011

Frugal Recipe: Saute Veggie Sandwisch


Several years ago my husband and I went to lunch at a great local restaurant. We both ordered the grilled veggie sandwich. They were delicious, but cost $8.95 each! As we enjoyed the food I realized I could make this for far less at home. I paid special attention to the ingredients. It has been a successful recreation ever since, and for far less than $8.95 per sandwich. Here is what to do:
  • gather assorted veggies (great way to eat up leftovers) and saute them in olive oil for about 4 minutes. The more variety in color the better. I usually opt for onions, garlic, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, spinach and or summer squash;
  • toast a bun or roll, again you can use what is on hand or on special at the store;
  • apply pesto (I use a pre-made jar purchased at Target; their price is extremely low, less than $2) to the bread.
  • Pile on veggies and drop a few clumps of fresh mozzarella on the veggies; and
  • Place in toaster oven or under the broiler for a few minutes.
The most expensive item will be the mozzarella, but it keeps well in the fridge. Severed alongside pizza, pasta or a salad, this is a simply, health, easy, and frugal meal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment