Monday, June 13, 2011

Frugal Thrift Store Shopping

As noted in yesterday's post, Friday I had the opportunity to run errands without my children. Thus, I accomplished an astonishing amount in three hours. One stop was at GW a.k.a Goodwill. During my visit I acquired 4 new dress shirts for my husband, but paid for only 3. No, I did not steal one. Instead, I used a coupon for buy one, get one free, out of the Bucky Book. And, at the check out I presented my Goodwill Frequent Shopper card. Once my points hit a certain level, I'll receive an item for free. Yes, you can even make thrift store shopping more frugal if you keep your eyes out for ways to save.

Some may cringe at the idea of shopping at Goodwill. The 16 year old version of myself would. But, I grew up, got smart about money, and realized that other people's discards were perfect for me, my wallet, and the earth. If you aren't a thrift store shopper, I'd urge you to consider it; they are not the stores you may have experienced in the past. Our current culture is one of shop, toss, shop again. Many items still have tags from the original store; new, never worn. I also take pride in the fact that most of my children's clothing is second hand, but know that I spend very little on clothes, which allows us to aggressively save for their college education.

Thrift stores, the benefits are plentiful:
  • inexpensive;
  • proceeds help worth causes; and
  • recycles items that would otherwise be tossed into a landfill
Let's here from other thrifters out there -- why should someone start thrifting?

No comments:

Post a Comment