Saturday, June 4, 2011

Taking The Job of Machines?

Odd thoughts come to my mind, especially when I'm cleaning. One such thought developed the other day when I was sweeping. I sweep a lot, at least twice a day. We have hardwood floors on the main level of our home, two cats, a toddler, a baby, and lots of going in and out (except for the cats, they are indoor cats). Thus, I sweep. I used to vacuum, but now I sweep. It is almost meditative. During one of these "meditations" it occurred to me that I now prefer to do jobs I once had a machine do:
  • sweep instead of a vacuum;
  • push lawn mower instead of a power mower;
  • grass clippers instead of a weed wacker;
  • doing dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher;
  • wisking instead of the electric blender; and
  • walking instead of driving.
As a result my life is quieter. I spend less money on energy consumption, and expend a few extra calories. The earth is less polluted. All things that I am happy to have as part of my life. Any ideas on other areas? The tranquility that comes from turning off machines has a powerful pull on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment