- sweep instead of a vacuum;
- push lawn mower instead of a power mower;
- grass clippers instead of a weed wacker;
- doing dishes by hand instead of using the dishwasher;
- wisking instead of the electric blender; and
- walking instead of driving.
As a result my life is quieter. I spend less money on energy consumption, and expend a few extra calories. The earth is less polluted. All things that I am happy to have as part of my life. Any ideas on other areas? The tranquility that comes from turning off machines has a powerful pull on me.