Wednesday, June 15, 2011

When the Middle Man Saves You Money...

Bagels, we consume a good amount in our home. And the Bagels Forever brand is our favorite, made within 2 miles of our home at their store front on University Ave. So, in my current effort to reduce the grocery bill, I assumed that buying the bagels directly from the store would save me money. I was wrong.

I had been buying 12 sesame bagels, pre-sliced and frozen from Metcalfe's for $4.18. I assumed that I could pick up the same amount, for less, each week when we stop at Bagels Forever Sundays after services at First Unitarian Society.

So, when I arrived this past Sunday I was shocked to see that the a bagel factory would charge me $4.80, plus 50 cents to cut them! There goes my theory of the middleman adding on to cost. Does the store charge a premium for freshness? If so, that doesn't help me because these are the bagels I use to make my husband's egg and cheese breakfast bagels, which I freeze.

Now I know the cost difference, a mere $1.12 ($5.30 minus $4.19) is not huge, but it is the principal. The moral of this story, don't assume the middleman increases cost -- always run the numbers and see if you are saving.

3 comments:

  1. One could argue that freshness is the main advantage of buying them at the source. For bagels, I'm not sure that's worth an extra $1.12, but there's no accounting for taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We discovered the same thing a while back. The absolute best is when Sentry has them on sale - then we buy boatloads and toss them in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh, sales and a chest freezer, pure joy for the frugal!!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete