Saturday, July 2, 2011

Book Review: Choose to Reuse

A recent library loan was Choose to Reuse: More thank 2000 resources, more than 200 topics from air filters to zippers, by Nikki and David Goldbeck. This book starts out with a bang, listing the three new R's: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. Immediately it zeros in on the fact that reducing and reusing have far greater impact on budgets and the earth than recycling, yet most of what we hear in the popular press is about recycling.

The scope of topics covered is amazing:
  • air filters in cars;
  • bathtubs;
  • cosmetics;
  • shoes;
  • tea infusers;
  • yarn;
  • zippers; and
  • everything in between.
As I flipped through the categories I saw a mention of eye glasses. Sure enough, I have a pair on my desk that are now the wrong prescription. Time to pass them along. However, when I glanced at the resources I quickly noted the lack of web sites.....yes, there are NO web sites listed. That is when I thought to check the date of publication, 1995! Wow, the topic is so hot at the moment, but this book is over 15 years old. This one omission is quickly handled by doing a google search for the program listed. Yet, an update would be ideal. If anyone hears of one, please let me know. For now, this is a great book to have as a resource. Check it out from your library or look for a copy at a bookstore or on-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment