Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Frugal Fast Food on the Go

If you follow this blog, you know that I am currently attempting to avoid or at least minimize my sugar intact. My motive? Several, but a strong one is the fact we'll be purchasing health insurance on our own next year and I'd like to do my part in falling into the least expensive premium category possible. So, sugar is on the outs.

If you are out and about in modern society, and you have a 3 year old and a 1 year old in tow, food options if a snack attack hits are limited. Coffee shops are everywhere, but protein is few and far between. Muffins, scones, snack bars are an easy grab. Not only are they high in price for a single purchase, they are usually packed with unhealthy ingredients.

My solution? I've filled an old spaghetti jar with a mixture of peanuts, soy nuts, walnuts, raisins, and unsweetened coconut. I keep it in the glove compartment. Glass means I don't have to worry about plastic releasing who knows what when temperatures soar....as they are this week. And not only is it a great source of quick and inexpensive protein for me, but my 3 year old as well.

We're enjoy easy, affordable, and healthy food on the go!

No comments:

Post a Comment