Thursday, July 21, 2011

Market Bounty

Living in the Midwest during the growing season is an amazing time. We've hit the stage of summer where the farmers' market stands burst with color and options. It can be a bit overwhelming. So much to select, yet not enough time to property preserve this wonderful locally grown food. So, I'm selective at the market. I seek out items that are easy to freeze,incorporate well with dishes I'll prepare this winter; and are harder to find fresh once the frost arrives. For the moment those items include:
  • kale;
  • swiss chard
  • zucchini;
  • yellow squash;
  • eggplant;
  • garlic scapes; and
  • tomatoes.
Do any of my readers have suggestions on other items that should find there way into my chest freezer? Remember, easy to preserve is key, I don' have a lot of spare time these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment