Friday, July 15, 2011

Second Life of Cereal Box Liner Bags

Austerity measures are as abundant as summer bugs in Wisconsin homes this year. Why? Well, it has something to do with a new Governor, a Legislature, and a State budget. And I'll leave it at that. I must say, the creativity that has flowed from the historic legislation down the road has been inspiring. This frugal tip was sent to me by a reader in Mount Horeb, Wisconsin. More than a reader, she is someone who used to work with me back in my day as an auditor for the Wisconsin Legislature. Now fully focused on running a home and raising two daughters, she applies her analysis tools on the home front to stretch her husband's state salary as far as possible.

Tough as nails, that is how you can describe the cereal box liner bags that most people toss in the trass. Not this frugal Wisconsinite. Once the box is finished the liners are given second life in the kitchen, employed to apply flour or crush crackers. Tough as nails!
I love the fact that something most people toss in the trash can be used usefully! Reuse -- so much better than recycling. I'm thinking I might find a way to integrate these into my toddlers painting sessions.

For my other austere Wisconsin state employee readers out there, we'd love to hear the creative ways you've learned to stretch a dollar. Please share!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this isn't particularly creative, but I'm a big fan of hanging laundry rather than using a clothes dryer. Even in the winter -- we have lines strung in our basement.

    ReplyDelete