Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Seeking a Frugal Government

A little over 10 years ago I graduated from law school and opted to take my 9 years of knowledge (BA in Political Science, Masters in Public Administration, and a law degree) and go work for the government. I started at a state legislative agency charged with identifying fraud, waste and abuse in government....seeking to improve through performance reviews. Sadly, it was not meant to me. We were not a good fit. Our fate was sealed the day a supervisor told me I was "too efficient and too ambitious, take it down a notch, this isn't law school". So, I said good-bye to public work and hello to a legal solo practice. But, my frugal eye always seems to catch stories or situations related to government. This happened one day last week while walking with my children along the Lakeshore path. Why was my alma matter, which I adore, watering its athletic fields at 11am? That is not efficient. And why was it being monitored by an employee driving a GMC Subburan? Disappointed I went to my computer and fired off a letter to the editor. When you are frugal at home, at work, at play, it's hard to to expect your alma matter and government to be frugal too.

No comments:

Post a Comment