Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Smell of Home Baked Bread

Bread, a staple in the American kitchen. From toast in the morning, to a turkey sandwich at lunch , to the peanut butter and jelly slice before bed, it is a constant in our home. And the price tag is $3.99 a loaf. I opt to buy a whole grain bread, one with a few ingredients. Or I should say, I used to buy?

This past month I've stopped buying store bought bread. Instead we use the bread machine. The slices aren't as precise, maybe a little thicker, but we are getting high quality bread for pennies. I haven't run the numbers, but since I have the ingredients stocked in the kitchen, we can enjoy quality bread for a fraction of the store bought price. Plus, we have more control and more variety. The bread is stored in a plastic bag (one I kept from the last store bought loaf) in the fridge to make sure it lasts a few days.

The most expensive part of this process is the bread machine. Don't buy new, instead check out the selection at Goodwill, Savers, Hospice Thrift Store, etc. And if it doesn't include a manual you can find it on the internet. My current machine was given to me by an aunt who no longer needed it. Previously I got one for about $10 at a thrift store and it worked for 3 years.

Happy baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment