Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Are you a Moonpreneur?

Moonpreneur -- now that is a new word for me. But, apparently I was one once. About six years ago I was working full-time as a analyst for a non-partisan legislative agency. The career I thought I would have in government did not materialize. On paper the job sounded great, but in reality it took every ounce of energy to get through another day "in the cube farm".

A desire to return to a traditional legal track emerged, but saddled with $97,000 in student debt, I was cautious. Once I had a practice area in mind (estate planning and probate) I did some research, bought some materials, found a mentor. Then I spent my nights and weekends laying the foundation of my current legal practice. I was a moonpreneur, a word I found in this wonderful article.

If you are thinking about supplementing your income or paving a new career path, the article offers great advice. One of which is frugality. Be frugal, both with your time and money. That frugality will help you set sail on new adventures.

Where to find the time? Start with the fact the average American watches 30 hours of television a week. Turn off the tube, and you'll find lots of time on your hands. Reading this article I realized, I haven't watched television (with the exception of the occasional Presidential address or Green Bay Packers game) since 2006...the same year I started my legal practice. Saving time is just as important as saving money as long as you use that time wisely.

1 comment:

  1. Just one more excellent reason to turn off the television.

    ReplyDelete