Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Frugal Flu Shot

It 's that time of year -- leaves are turning colors, the wind is whipping up, and everywhere you turn you're being told to get a flu shot. This year I will be getting my flu shot at the Target Pharmacy. The cost at Target $24.99 (sadly my 5% discount with the Target debit card does not apply since it is considered a prescription). However, I can pay with my HSA card, using tax free dollars. And, thanks to a coupon that came with a prior purchase, I'll receive a $5 Target Gift Card. I've priced the amount, and determined it was the lowest around. And far less expensive than a doctor's visit. Now, just keep your fingers crossed that this years shot covers all the pesky bugs that will float into the area later in the year.

Note, I was told by the Target Pharmacist that you must be 6 and older to use their service. That means the kids will be going to their pediatrician. The cost will be $103 for the mist, requested by my 3 year old, and $84 for my 1 year old daughters shot. We checked with Anthem, our health insurance provider, and were told that preventive medicine is now covered 100% by the insurance, a requirement under the new federal health care law. Since we have a high deductible plan, we are happy to hear we don't have to foot the bill....but will watch the doctor's invoice carefully to make sure it was not charge to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment