Monday, September 12, 2011

Homemade Pizza Dough - 1st Attempt a Failure

Pizza is a frequent meal at our house. We often buy two on Saturday night with our "uby one get one free coupons" from the Bucky Book. We also keep several Target brand frozen cheese pizzas in the freezer. They are great once you toss on some fresh veggies and mozzarella cheese.

The fast few weeks we've been in frugal overdrive, so I decided it was time to give homemade pizza a chance. I pulled out my trusty bread machine and its cookbook. Within minutes the pizza dough was churning in the machine. When it was done I pulled it out, kneaded it for the 1 minute the recipe called for, and then let it stand for 20 minutes. At this point I realized I'd rather make pizza the next night, so I covered it and put it in the fridge.

24 hours later I pulled it out and attempted to roll out the dough. I struggled. I attempted again, but it wouldn't stretch out. I began to mutter about understanding why pizza was an expensive item to buy. The ingredients aren't much, but the labor involved. Frustrated, I tossed the glob of dough in the compost bin and pulled out a frozen pizza. The taste was far from memorable. Homemade pizza, from scratch, that is my goal.

Loyal readers what did I do wrong? Several of you have written about making your own pizza dough. I've got the dough down, just not the rolling part. Suggestions please!

No comments:

Post a Comment