- before entering the winter season have your furnace inspected and "tuned up" -- it will run more efficiently;
- dress as though it were winter. In our home people where sweaters, slippers, and layers. This allows us to keep the thermostat lower than the average Wisconsin home;
- aim for lower on the thermostat -- we are between 61 and 63 degrees. Where ever you are, try lowering it a degree or two;
- program the thermostat to dip lower if you are out of the house or it is bedtime. There is no reason to heat a empty home;
- make sure window are shut well; and
- use draft dodgers for outside doors.
Welcome to late fall in Wisconsin. We have days in the 50s or 60s, but the temperature has start to fall close to or below freezing. It is furnace time.