Monday, January 30, 2012

Homemade Pizza - A Success!

Inspired by a recent lunch at a friend's house, where we made pizza with 3 toddlers, I decided to give it another whirl here at our frugal home.

First, I made a whole wheat pizza dough in our bread machine.  I'd seen fresh dough at our gourmet grocery store at a cost of $2.98 a bag.  This recipe will cost you pennies because you probably have most of the ingredients at home.

  • 3/4 cup water, 80 degrees F
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or 1 1/2 teaspoons fast rise yeast
Add the items, in order, into the canister.  Create a well in the middle for the yeast.  It took about 1 hour in the machine. I kneaded it for 1 minute, let it "rest" for 15 minutes. I then divided it in half and rolled out two crusts. The recipe says to let it sit for 25 minutes.  I got distracted, which is common when cooking with a 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 year old.  But it turned out just fine. 

I sprinkled some cornmeal on the pizza stone, added the dough followed by sauce.  I used some from a jar, but our friend simply used tomato sauce and oregano, creating the most divine pizza.  Add your toppings and shredded cheese.  Bake at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.

Hands down the best pizza ever to come out of my oven.  Yes, it is work.  But the quality was superb, the cost minimal, and we had fun in the kitchen.

Thanks for the inspiration to give this another try -- what a success!

Photo credit: www.sxc.hu - free image

Blogger note: no, this is not a photo from my kitchen.  I loved the warmth this offers.  We gobbled our food up before I remembered to snap a photo.  Next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment