Monday, February 27, 2012

Freezer Report

It's Monday again, and here is another report on my efforts to use up all the local veggies I froze last summer and fall.  Thankfully, since making this effort combined with pulling out 4 or 5 packs of frozen goodies from the chest freezer in the garage and moving them to my kitchen freezer, I can report progress on using up the winter supply.

Kale and garlic scapes were added to some grape tomatoes that were approaching the end of their life on my counter.  I chopped and tossed them into a pan with olive oil and soy sauce.  Once sauted, they were heaped on top of a bowl soba noodles and served alongside a pot roast that had been in my slow cooker all day.

Image credit: taken by author, M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012


And, those sour cherries I mentioned last week were turned into a french cherry clafoutis.  Improvising a recipe from the local paper, here is what I did:

  • 1 cup of frozen cherries were thawed, then I removed the pits and stems;
  • scattered them on the bottom of a pie dish and tossed in a few spoonfuls of ground walnut;
  • combined and mixed the following: 1/4 cup whole wheat flour; 1/4 cup flour; 1/2 cup honey; 1 egg; 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract; 1/2 cup almond milk; 1/8 cup butter.
  • I poured the batter over the cherries and baked at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.
And here was the result.  A perfect end to a wholesome dinner!

Image credit: taken by author, M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012

My frugal efforts also included washing the freezer bags these yummies were stored in; now I can use them next season!

Tune in next week for a report....I still hope to give cranberry walnut chicken a try.  And one of these days I'll uncover the asparagus I froze last Spring!

No comments:

Post a Comment