Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Freezer Trouble in the Frugal Kitchen

I have a chest freezer problem.  No, it not break nor did it come unplugged.  Last summer and fall I worked hard to fill it with veggies from the local farmers' market.  Just like a frugal cook would.  My problem.....it is far too full for the beginning of February.

Veggies that are currently frozen, waiting to be cooked.
Photo credit: author, Melinda Gustafson Gervasi, 2011

We opted to purchase a chest rather than upright freezer, mainly because it was less expensive.  However, things are tossed in randomly.  It is in the garage, which keeps the energy bill even lower, but is rather dark.  And life has been rather intense lately.  All reasons as to why I have not been pulling out ingredients and rather purchasing food for weekly meals.

This post is intended to hold me more accountable.  Going forward I promise to pull out two packages a week and use them in our meals.  May is coming fast, and my preserves are too full.  If you have suggestions, please send them my way.  Items that I froze quite a bit off and do not regularly use include cabbage, cranberries, and eggplant.  One caveat -- we are eating a low glycemic diet, meaning we are limiting meals with lots of flour and or sugar.

Stay tuned for more on my quest to empty the freezer before the first farmers' market of the 2012 growing season!

No comments:

Post a Comment