Friday, February 10, 2012

Out With the Old, In With the .....

You know the saying, "out with the old, in with the new". Well, if you are frugal you may want to chop off the last half of that expression.  You'll have money and resources, and may discover the loveliness of empty space.

Last week the coffee table finally reached the point of no return.  It had been with me for years. Purchased in the year after I graduated from law school, I think it cost $40 from one of those Big Box outlets I now do my best to avoid.  But it held up through 2 cats, 3 moves, a marriage, and the arrival of 2 children.  The chaos of our lives took aim on this table, the center piece of our living room.  It was showing its age....in other words, it was falling apart.  My son's extremely active creative play pushed it over the edge.  One too many Lunar Rovers made of legos cause the interior to droop to a point where nails were exposed.  I carted it down the hall and put it in our bedroom.

My initial thought was to repair it.  We'd take out the drooping center, get a new piece of wood, put it in place, and maybe experiment with mosaic.  And then reality whispered in my ear "when my dear will you find the time and energy for such creativity?"  I would not, at least not in the next 3 years.  I didn't want this piece of broken down furniture cluttering up the house, so I offered it to our nanny.  She has a degree in "found art" and has plans to transform the table.

And no, we did not implement the "out with the old, in with the new" mantra of so many consumers these days. Within minutes of the table being removed from my living room, I felt more peace in that space.  And I wondered, what do I need with a coffee table anyway.  It really just serves as a flat surface for clutter to congregate.  We don't have people over who put steaming hot cups of coffee in the center of our living space...not with two little kids running around.  Our "coffee table" books on our shelves in the lower level of our house.  Really, there is no need for it.

And so you have it, out with the old and in with the nothing.  No money spent.  A discarded item is finding new life at our nanny's home.  I didn't waste time or gas seeking a replacement.  And my living room is just a little be less cluttered.  Oh how energized I feel.  What can I toss next?

Photo credit: www.sxc.hu - free image

No comments:

Post a Comment