Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle -- A Progress Check

In January I declared it my New Years resolution to more fully embrace the idea of "reduce, reuse, recycle" -- which places greater importance on reduction, then reuse, and finally recycling.  One month into the year and I have made some small positive steps.  But, there seems to be more I could do.

On the reduction front, I have reduced the number of restaurant meals we consume.  I had often said "Saturday is take-out night" and declared the night off.  After a bit of reflection, that seemed wasteful and expensive.  Especially since my kids still seemed to end up eat peanut butter, cheese, and fruit.  Running out for take-out is not all that easy with two small kids anyway.  I have replaced it with "crock pot night".  Beef stew with homemade muffins has been a big hit.

Reuse has been an area where I've made the most progress.  I'm keeping wine corks in a jar so that I can glue them together to make coasters.  The idea was sparked by a handmade birdhouse I saw at a train display (Olbrich Gardens) -- it was made entirely from wine corks.  Now I don't drink much wine, so this will be a slow moving project.  I also noticed that the cardboard backing that had come with posters we bought our kids for Christmas (yes, we just got around to actually putting them in a frame and on the wall) would be a great canvas for painting.  They are set aside waiting for a warm summer day....and paint.

On the recycling front, I plan to replace some of our bedroom pillows in the next month.  And instead of tossing the old ones in the trash as I have done in the past, I will set them aside to donate at our local animal rescue / humane society.  I had seen this idea posted months ago on Facebook.  What a great way to get additional life out of old pillows.  Now I just need to manage a drop off without adopting another cat.

How about you?  Have you been able to up the effort on reduction, reuse or recycling?  Other readers would enjoy your input.


And yes, I am recycling this video link.  Jack Johnson makes the 3 Rs delightful.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment