Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What I've Been Reading: Food Rules, an eater's manual by Michael Pollan


Michael Pollan, to foodies little else needs to be said.  If you are frugal, a foodie, and or an avid reader I highly recommend anything written by Michael Pollan.  My admiration for his writing started with The Omnivore's Dilemma, grew with In Defense of Food, and finds continued inspiration in his latest work, Food Rules: an eater's manual.

At 200 pages, with lovely drawings scattered within, the book is a perfect pocket guide to those seeking to eat true, whole, and wonderful food.  It offers 83 rules to follow.  The following jumped out at me on my last reading:

  • Number 29: eat the spinach water.  After boiling spinach or other veggies, keep the water for soups or sauces;
  • Number 31: if you have the space, but a freezer.  He states that buying locally grown veggies at a farmers' market is less expensive, and the food is more nutrient dense.  I agree, but as with yesterdays post I would add....make sure you use the items you froze; and
  • Number 80: compost.  He writes that if a person knows that unused food will go from pot or plate to the compost pile, where it will offer more use, people are more inclined to buy produce.  
I could list all 83 rules, but that would not be fair to Pollan.  This is a quick read, one you will pull off your shelf time and time again.  Enjoy, and let me know what your favorite rule was.

No comments:

Post a Comment