Monday, March 19, 2012

Freezer Report - I Found the Asparagus!

For my loyal readers, you will be delighted to learn that I have finally seen the bottom of my chest freezer!  Yes, the end is in sight.  Will I manage to use up all the contents before the next growing season?  The first market of the season is April 21st.....and to my frugal delight, the fishing expedition this week uncovered two pack of frozen asparagus.  It will be turned into the following soup, recipe given to me by a friend, source unknown.

Cream of Asparagus Soup:

  • 1 pound asparagus, cut into one inch pieces, cook on medium heat in 1 cup of broth (chicken or vegetable).  Takes about 7 minutes;
  • In another pan, melt 1/4 cup butter, remove from heat.  Add 1/4 cup flour and stir until a smooth paste is formed.  Gradually add 2.5 cups broth, whisk.
  • Return the pan to the heat, cook until soup has thickened.
  • Add 1/2 cup half-and-half (I use whole milk), a dash of salt and pepper, and the cooked asparagus along with its liquid.
  • The recipe indicates that you can leave the asparagus whole, but I prefer to use my immersion blender.
This tastes great with a toasted ham and cheese sandwich!

As for my freezer, I still have a lot of frozen summer squash and eggplant to use.  Can you say curry!  This next year I am going to count the weeks from the end of the market until the next season; for each week I need 1 bag of veggies for curry.  I think I have a few too many this year.

How about you, are you ready for the market?  If you live in the Midwest, it will seem like a late start because mother nature has shot us into summer like weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment