Cream of Asparagus Soup:
- 1 pound asparagus, cut into one inch pieces, cook on medium heat in 1 cup of broth (chicken or vegetable). Takes about 7 minutes;
- In another pan, melt 1/4 cup butter, remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup flour and stir until a smooth paste is formed. Gradually add 2.5 cups broth, whisk.
- Return the pan to the heat, cook until soup has thickened.
- Add 1/2 cup half-and-half (I use whole milk), a dash of salt and pepper, and the cooked asparagus along with its liquid.
- The recipe indicates that you can leave the asparagus whole, but I prefer to use my immersion blender.
This tastes great with a toasted ham and cheese sandwich!
As for my freezer, I still have a lot of frozen summer squash and eggplant to use. Can you say curry! This next year I am going to count the weeks from the end of the market until the next season; for each week I need 1 bag of veggies for curry. I think I have a few too many this year.
How about you, are you ready for the market? If you live in the Midwest, it will seem like a late start because mother nature has shot us into summer like weather.