Monday, March 5, 2012

Freezer Report

The first farmers' market of the season is April 21st!  That gives me six weeks to use up most of the goodies I stored last fall.  And cranberries were something I must have thought we'd eat a lot of.  Slight miscalculation on my part.  In an effort to put a dent in the cranberry stash we have in the chest freezer, I made a relish.  The recipe was modified slightly:

  • 3 cups frozen or fresh cranberries (I used 2 cups frozen);
  • 1 medium orange;
  • 1 apple (I omitted the apple);
  • 1 cup walnuts (I used ground walnuts); and
  • 3/4 to 1 cup sugar (I drizzled in some honey.
The result was a large portion of relish.  And I was the only one in the house interested in eating it.  Overall it wasn't bad....a bit tart.  In retrospect I should add more fruit, a bit more honey, and prepare this when we are having guests.  It would be been ideal on the table for Thanksgiving or Christmas.  And apparently it is well known.  I was reading a book, a memoir about building a cabin in the Maine woods, and the final chapter chronicled the first Thanksgiving dinner at the cabin.  Featured was "cranberry relish made with walnuts and oranges and a freight-car-load of sugar."  Yeah, I think I should have used more sweet in my mix.  Next time!

The cover of the memoir, Cabin: Two brothers, a dream, and five acres in Maine, by Lou Ureneck

I still have not found the asparagus I froze last Spring.  Maybe next week.  My latest freezer pull (I take from the chest freezer a few packages to keep in my kitchen freezer, making it easier to incorporate into meals) was cabbage, broccoli, and eggplant.  I'm think curries and cream soup this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment