Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Frugal Garden Prep

Image Credit:  www.sxc.hu - free image

If you live in the upper Midwest, you will understand why I am thinking about gardening.  It is March and we've been setting records for daily high temperature.....in the 80s this week.  It feels like June, not March.  While I find this disturbing, I am also thinking about gardening this year.  Specifically container gardening.  And in order to do that, I need containers.

I have a few houseplant containers, one large terra cotta container, and 2 large plastic containers.  In an effort to add a few more items to the garden I am going to take another large terra cotta container from my office (a palm was dying a slow death -- not the thing you want when you do estate planning).  I am also thinking of using empty coffee containers (made of tin) and possibly cutting down plastic cat litter containers.  I love the idea of reusing these items, and not having to purchase other containers.

Does anyone else have suggestions on good containers that might be a happy home for tomatoes, peppers, and herbs this summer?

2 comments:

  1. I'd recommend the book _Garden Anywhere_ (here: http://www.amazon.com/Garden-Anywhere-Alys-Fowler/dp/0811868753/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332353491&sr=8-1)

    I own a copy of this book if you'd like to borrow it, it is full of great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete