Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Getting The Most Out Of Take-Out

Take-out is a fact of life.  And sometimes it is yummy.  But there is no getting around the fact that it is usually more expensive than a home cooked meal, and creates more waste.  Here are a few of the ways I try and make the most of those take-out meals:

  • use a coupon if you have one -- we love buy one get one free, but avoid any that require the purchase of a beverage (we have those at home, and restaurant prices are soooo high);
  • add the napkins to our pile (which we use if the cloth are dirty);
  • put plastic utensils in our "party box" -- we have a large gathering 3 times a year and re-use plastic utensils;
  • if the container is durable, I wash it and use it for my husband's brown bag lunches or put it in the pile I use when I send leftovers home with guests; and
  • any packets of sauce or cream are put into a "single use pile".  My husband prefers his food spicier than I do, or our children.  When I make eggs for example, I just pull out some of the Mexican food sauces and add them to his plate.
And that is how I stretch those take-out meal dollars.  What about you?  Any tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment