Monday, April 9, 2012

Freezer Report - Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup

We are in April and it is a final push to use up as much of the winter store I created last summer and fall from the local farmers' markets.  The eggplant is still in the freezer, we just have not had enough time to try the tasty new recipes that we've found.  Maybe this coming week we'll have time.  Either way, I'll make a note to myself, next summer don't buy so much eggplant.  And I'll add kale to that list.  My husband and kids won't touch it....too chewy is the complaint.

I did make a tasty soup out of frozen broccoli and cauliflower.  I sauted a drop of garlic in olive oil, added the cauliflower and broccoli and continued to cook for about 5 minutes, adding 1 cup of vegetable broth.  In a separate pot I melted 1/4 cup butter, added 1/4 cup flour, stirred. Then poured in 2.5 cups vegetable broth.  This was added to the stock pot with the veggies.  It simmered on low for 30 minutes.  I added some leftover brown rice and 1/2 cup whole milk along with some salt and pepper.  Just before serving I used my immersion blender.  Simple, tasty, and one more package used from the freezer stash!

No comments:

Post a Comment