Monday, April 23, 2012

Freezing Farmers' Market Finds

It's back....the local farmers' market 2012 growing and selling season has arrived in Madison!  Looking ahead to this market season, I have turned to my ultra Type A habits.  Can you say spreadsheet?  Yes, I've used Google Docs to create an inventory of what I have set aside.  My hope is that it will make using our frozen stash more efficient next winter.  Here is a glimpse of my form:

Further proof that the author is off the charts Type-A

For those outside of the Madison area, we had an abnormally warm March.  As a result the growing season arrived early.  Apparently the asparagus is nearing the end of the growing season even though the market just opened.  So, when I saw vendors with it on display I bought 4 pounds worth.  I also opted to stock up on spinach.  Both are easy to steam and freeze.

Author's photo: bounty from 1st market of the season

Author's image: steaming the spinach

This past winter I used frozen asparagus, but found it hard to work with because it was not blended.  This weekend I steam the stem, and then pureed them in my food processor.  I added a drizzle of olive oil and some of the water left from steaming.  I can already smell the steak and cream of asparagus dinners I'll make next New Years Eve.  Note: if you follow my suit, mark the freezer bags; once the snow flies it can be hard to distinguish between pureed asparagus and pureed broccoli.

Author's image: pureed asparagus

2 comments:

  1. Here's how I keep track of my freezer inventory now: http://thehappyhousewife.com/home-management/dry-erase-freezer-inventory/

    And I'm definitely making that Cream of Asparagus. I can practically taste its deliciousness already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to post. I'll likely be using this at some point. Any flat surface attracts clutter, and this is a great way to cut down on that phenomenon as well as keep my freezer organized!

      Delete