Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How To Handle Burned Sauce in a Crock Pot

If you read my blog regularly, you will know that weekly I use my crock pot for simple frugal meals.  Last weekend was no exception.  In went some leftover pot roast with some BBQ sauce.  It was supposed to be a simple dinner.  So simple that I forgot it was on until hours later and discovered the sauce had burned, really, really burned.

Amazingly I was able to salvage most of the meat.  The burning had occurred on the side of the pot.  Afterwards I tossed in a few used dryer sheets and let it set overnight.  The next day my jaw dropped as it became apparent my usual trick wasn't making a dent in the destruction.  Hmmmm, what to do.  Using the suggestion of a friend (who is also an amazing cook) I filled the pot with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water and let it simmer for 12 hours, on low.  A little elbow grease was required, but the burned sauce gave way.

My slow cooker is back in use.  Unplanned expenditure averted.  And I didn't have to make a trip to a store to replace it.  Working that in would have been more painful than the cost of a new crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment