If you are looking to keep plastics out of marine life, consider these steps:
- carry cloth bags in your car -- use them instead of plastic bags from stores;
- find a recycling center for plastic bags (here in Madison they can be included with curb pick up, elsewhere you can find collection containers in many stores);
- eat home cooked food instead of take-out;
- buy in bulk;
- if you have take-out, clean and save the containers for brown bag lunch or sending leftovers home with dinner guests (that way your "good" containers don't migrate from your stash);
- pass along old plastic containers to families with kids or organizations that serve kids -- they are great for dumping, collecting, molding, etc.; and
- find ways to incorporate old plastic into sun catchers, bird feeders, holiday ornaments, etc.