Monday, April 16, 2012

Monday's Freezer Report

The clock is ticking down, the next farmers' market season starts this coming Saturday.  My goal of using up the stash I put away last year is basically met.  The chest freezer in the garage is empty, waiting for another season to be stored away.  Many of the remaining veggies have found their way into dishes we've enjoyed or will enjoy.  The rest are waiting in my fridge freezer.  I have several bags of pumpkins, one cherry, one cranberry and a few eggplant waiting to be used in the weeks ahead.  Even though the market starts in April, pie pumpkins won't be available for several months.  Here is a list of the creations that came out of my kitchen in an effort to clear the freezer this week:
  • curried cauliflower, squash and eggplant;
  • zucchini bread;
  • asparagus, bean, and ham soup (used the last of the Easter ham);
  • Lamb stew (used the last of the cabbage); 
  • vegetable soup; and 
  • whole wheat blue berry jelly muffins.
The last item was a huge surprise, absolutely lovely.  Inspired by the container of homemade blueberry jam I found in the freezer.  The recipe is below, and I highly recommend it!

And that is that.  Next week I'll turn to reporting on putting away items for next winter.  Time flies!

Whole Wheat Muffins with Jam (The Tassajara Bread Book)
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/4 cup oil or melted butter
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup honey or molasses
  • 1.5 cups milk
Blend together.  Fill mini muffin pan cups half way.  Drop in about 1/2 teaspoon jam or jelly.  Put a spoonful of batter on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.  Get ready to enjoy pure goodness!  The jam I made used 6 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons lemon, and pectin.  I failed to write down the amount of berries, but it was probably a quart.  A bit runny, but it works well in the muffins as well as on oatmeal.

Sorry, no images today.  My normal internet connection is down and I am using the "hot spot" on my phone.  Not wanting to go over my limit, I am avoiding unnecessary downloads of images.  Frugal, but that shouldn't surprise you my dear reader!

No comments:

Post a Comment