Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Upside of Frugal Is Not Always Being Frugal

After nearly four years of parenting, I am taking some time off.  Self-care is not easy for me.  If you are a child, a spouse, a friend, family member, or a client you go to the top of my to-do list.  I am aware of the statement that you need to take care of yourself before you take care of others, but knowing something is far different than executing it.  But, here I am.  Having not taken more than 12 hours off at a stretch from mom to Ian and Maeve, I am making plans for a weekend away.

Later this summer I am meeting up with a dear college friend, the sister I never had.  We are headed to St. Paul for three days and two nights.  She is flying in from DC, I'll drive up from Madison.  Since she is paying for air fare, I am covering the lodging.  While brainstorming ideas for my trip I posted a query on Facebook and everyone wrote back about frugal ideas.  To which I clarified, I am taking time off from hands on parenting as well as from frugality.  Enjoyment is more important than saving money, if just for this one weekend.  Now please don't stop reading, it is not as though I've booked a suite at the Ritz (do they have a Ritz in St. Paul?).  I am too frugal to simply go nuts, but am wise enough to know that saving some money is not as important as saving my sanity.

And that is the upside of being frugal. If you spend 362 days of the year being frugal, you can take a few off.  Get what you want.  Indulge.  Make life a tad bit easier.  And that is one of the reasons why I love living frugally.

Oh, and if you have suggestions for St. Paul this summer, please leave a comment!

Image  Credit:   www.sxc.hu - free image

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, you should stay at the St. Paul hotel! It's beautiful and right downtown. Not frugal, but in line with other hotels in the area.

    I have a friend or two in the twin cities - I'd be happy to ask for recommendations if you would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth -- Yes, I'd like recommendations. We want to stay near the start of the 5k to minimize driving/stress time. I anticipate it being a popular weekend and the rooms will go fast. More ideas are welcome!

      Delete