Friday, April 13, 2012

What To Do With Easter Ham Leftovers....

Last weekend our family celebrated Easter with family.  As Unitarian Universalists we don't really celebrate Easter, but it was a great reason to have my mom and grandparents over for a meal.  Giving my children time with their nearly 70 year old grandmother and 90 year old grandparents was a great experience, and at their age they really don't understand "not celebrating Easter".  So I went all out, 10 pound ham and all.

This was the first time I've ever made a ham, and it may be my last.  As a meat I find it far too salty, and am amazed to see the older generation actually adding salt to the meat on their plate.   And yes, you read that correctly.  I baked a 10 pound ham for 7 people, of whom 2 are toddlers and 3 are seniors with health issues.  In word, leftovers!  What to do with all those leftovers!  Some were sent home with the guests, but I still had a vast amount of ham to use.  And this is how we made the most, down to the bone!

  1. Omelettes for breakfast -- chopped ham with onions, peppers and cheese;
  2. Scalloped potatoes and ham -- 1 cup chopped ham, 4 baking potatoes (peeled and diced), 1/2 cup milk, and 1/4 flour.  Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour on 350 degrees; and
  3. Split Pea Soup --1 package yellow split peas, ham bone and pieces of ham, bring to a boil in about 8 cups water, simmer until peas are mushy.  Add chopped veggies (carrots, celery, onions).  
How about you -- what did you do with the Easter leftovers?

No comments:

Post a Comment