Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Frugal Living and Farmers' Markets

It's Tuesday, but I am still starting my week of Frugal posts with reflections on the local farmers' market.  Over the weekend I finished the book Culinary Intelligence by Peter Kaminsky.  I will have more to say about that book in a later post, but I can say that reading his book motivated more than ever to shop local.  So, in the fairly heavy rain I set off for the Westside Community Market (due to the rain, I left my camera at home).

Saturday evening we had a guest coming for dinner, and it was all inspired by the market.  Green salad with garlic scapes, asparagus, and hot house tomatoes.  Frittata with scallions, mushrooms and asparagus.  Italian pork bratwurst from a farm in Watertown.  And for dessert pumpkin bread (using last years stash of pie pumpkin) with fresh whipped cream, chopped almonds, and dried cranberries.  Oh, and I picked up a pint of strawberries.  Another market buy was yogurt from Sugar River Dairy.

Given the pace of a holiday weekend, I put nothing away in the freezer.  But after eating those strawberries I promise you that I am going to purchase more, freeze them, and from now on just eat those that are local.  Small, but do they pack a flavorful punch. Nothing like the jumbo sized watery ones you find in the store off-season.  And that concept is the main one I took from Kaminsky book.  Eat things with intense flavor.  You'll be satisfied and not feel the need to add little extras, like salt, sugar and fat.

The dinner guest is also quite the gardener and help me identify numerous rhubarb plants in our yard as well as chive and mint!  I hope to harvest some and freeze it, straight from my own back yard.

Welcome to summer, one I hope to spend walking and biking to local markets and grocers.  I can't travel to Europe this summer, so I plan to life like a European as much as possible.  Suggestions are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment