Friday, May 18, 2012

Homemade Hummingbird Solution

Birds!  We cannot get enough of them at our house.  The backyard currently features two feeders and two bird houses.  Living just around the corner from a small stream and huge urban park / woodlands, we have birds.  Even a hawk that graces our backyard.

And with each visit and new species spotted, we are eager for more.  Our latest acquisition is a hummingbird feeder.  I found it for $8 at the local hardware store.  Yes, I know you can build them yourself, but that takes time and skill, and I'm running short on those these days.  So $8 was handed over, and I brought the box home for the kids.

Image Credit:  www.sxc.hu - free image

The nectar however is not something I bought.  A little research and I learned to boil 4 cups of water and then add 1 cup of sugar.  Let cool and add to the feeder.  Wash once or twice a week and put it in a shady spot to discourage bacterial growth.  No honey, no coloring needed.  Just water and sugar.  That I can handle.

And now we wait for those little delights to find the nectar.  The feeder is in the front of our house, attached to the kitchen window.  My plan is to convert much of the front yard to flower beds in the years to come.  We can enjoy our meals inside, and hopefully watch the various feathered friends enjoy a meal in our yard.

No comments:

Post a Comment