Monday, May 7, 2012

Monday's Freezer Report: A New Twist With Rhubarb

It's Monday again, and I'm back with my weekly freezer report.  Now that the farmers' markets are back in swing, my focus is on filling the chest freezer in our garage with tasty, locally grown fruits and veggies.  Normally I hit the market on Saturday, but this weekend I ran my first 5k since 2007, and I skipped the market.  Instead,  I took my kids (ages 3.5 and 1.5) to a small downtown market last Wednesday.  Here is my report.

Image credit: photo taken by author, Melinda Gustafson Gervasi, 2012.  I even reused the same image for my earlier post!

The selection was about the same as the previous week, and I was limited on what I could freeze.  In the end I picked up the same two items as last week; spinach and rhubarb.  My three bags of spinach were steamed for dinner, served with eggs and fresh baked bread.  The leftovers were frozen and put way until the snow flies.  

In my last report, I chopped up my rhubarb and froze it in 1 cup portions.  My plan is to pair it with strawberries for a cobble in the winter.  This week I opted to turn the rhubarb into compote.....something new.  I was inspired by this blog post, and followed the first recipe listed.  It is now tucked away until winter.  I'm looking forward to adding it to oatmeal on a cold winter morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment