Wednesday, May 9, 2012

My Frugal Kitchen Adds A Butter Keeper

Part motivation to spend less at the grocery and part desire to decrease the amount of foods I buy that are processed, I have recently added a "butter keeper" to our kitchen.  No longer do I need to buy "spreadable butter".  Whether it be the injection of nitrogen gas, manipulation of animal feed, or injecting vegetable oils - spreadable butter is processed.  And it costs more than plain old stick butter.  The problem -- it is nice to have soft butter for bread.  What to do?

My solution came from the French!  A butter keeper uses ancient food preservation techniques to keep butter soft, but not rancid.  I recently bought one on-line (using my Amazon Prime account and paid no shipping) for $11.95.  The process is simple.   Set a 1/2 stick of butter on the counter.  Once at room temperature smash it into the inverted cup.  Add 1/3 cup water to the canister.  Put the lit on and a seal keeps the butter at room temperature.

Here is a photo.  I'm holding the lid.  It is placed, downward facing, on the canister.  You can just make out the word butter, written in blue.

Image credit:   Author, M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012

Our only problem is that we keep our house so cold, the butter at room temperature is not that soft!

No comments:

Post a Comment