Tuesday, June 5, 2012

From Frugal Use of Wheat Comes Death's Door Vodka



Yesterday Middleton, Wisconsin saw the opening of a new facility; Death's Door Spirits Distillery.  The company started in Wisconsin, in Door County, and was born from a desire to use every last bit of locally grown wheat that was grown on Washington Island.  Originally the wheat was to be used for bread, but there was much more available.  And Vandewalle, who runs the company, thought of making vodka.  And from that frugal use of materials came the emergence of vodka, gin, and whiskey.

Frugality often gets a bad rap.  But this story illustrates that a frugal mind can bring about innovative ideas and concepts.  And those can grow into companies that sell products in 38 states and the UK.  Congrats to Death's Door....I've followed you because my husband always jokes I should hand our product out as thank yous for the referrals I get to my estate planning and probate practice.  That seems a bit over the top for me, but I do plan to have a few on hand for an upcoming party at our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment