Monday, June 11, 2012

Frugality Via Farmers' Market Shopping

This past Saturday you would have found me at the Westside Community Market, cash in hand and cloth bags full of produce.  My main goal was to find strawberries for the freezer.  Mission accomplished!  For $16 we now have five, 2 cups each, bags of frozen berries, plus one jar of "mashed strawberries".  Weather and time permitting, I hope to do another round next weekend.  And vow never, ever, to purchase the bloated tasteless strawberries sold in grocery stores from August - May.  If so, I will save myself money because those berries usually mold quickly and never live up to the taste promise.



Image credits:  taken by author, M. Gustafson Gervasi, June 2012

For immediate consumption I picked up tomatoes and cucumbers ($4), from which I'll have several tasty salads.  For $2 I got enough greens to fill a large salad spinner.  And for $2 there were mushrooms to add to sautes for the week ahead.

Ahhh, there is nothing better than a June morning at the market.  Amazing food, low cost, and the taste of summer tucked away in the freezer for a winter's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment