For today I would like to share a link to how to find a local farmers' market in your area. No one site stands out as being great to me. Some have outdated information, but this about.com article has great bullet points on how to find one in your area.
If you don't currently use a farmers' market for your food shopping, keep in mind:
- farmers' markets cut out the "middle men" and keep prices low;
- you can negotiate prices with the seller (i.e. how about 10 for $5?);
- walking or biking to a market saves gas money as well as wear and tear on your vehicle;
- paying with cash forces you to be more aware of your spending, and you'll stay in budget;
- cash keeps costs of commerce low -- no credit card or check fees; and
- evidence mounts showing that eating local, fresh foods is the best preventive medicine you can find -- and it is usually less expensive than prescriptions.
Image Credit: 2011, taken by author, M. Gustafson Gervasi. Farmers' Market, Bayfield, Wis. June 2011