Monday, July 16, 2012

Frenzied, Fatigued, and Frugal

Does life ever remind you of the Lucy episode where she is in a chocolate factory and the conveyor belt speeds up.  Soon she is drowning in candies, falling behind, and a total mess engulfs her and Ethel.  That sums up how our summer has been since we took our Summer Solstice vacation.  Out of routine, way too many obligations.  The pace isn't slowing down.  It will intensify.  And so to cope, I toss things overboard.  Frugality has been one of them.  And writing about frugality is hard when you aren't living it every day.

I did make it to the farmers' market Saturday, bringing home some local bounty.  For the freezer:  blue berries, summer squash (chopped and portioned into bags for winter curries), and swiss chard.  For the present moment: corn on the cob, potatoes, and carrots.  I know that the market is a good deal.  Fresh, local, the best value for my dollar.  I'm glad I already now this, because my mad dash there and back didn't give me much time to think and make well planned purchases.  And without that ingredient, frugal living is hard.

How about you?  Has summer sped up your life?  Are you on purchase autopilot?  Do you feel like that Walmart winter holiday commercial where a man is sweeping the last of everything on the shelf into his cart, no thought required?  If so, you are not alone.  Remember, life has cycles.  I'm in a frenzy one at the moment.  It will pass, and my intention is to slow it down as fast as I can.  Read more as I work to get back into a more intense frugal groove.

For now, I'll leave you with I Love Lucy!



No comments:

Post a Comment