Tuesday, July 3, 2012

What I've Been Reading: Smart Mama, Smart Money



Last week I finished another library find on frugal living, this one entitled Smart Mama, Smart Money: Raising  Happy, Healthy Kids Without Breaking the Bank by Rosalyn Hoffman.  The material she covers ranges from clothing to food to family finances to kid activities.  With the exception of learning about the website Zappos.com, I didn't take anything to new from the book.  Most of her advice is something we do or that I would agree sounds like a wise move (some was related to older children).  However, the tone in which the book was written made it painful for me to read.

Short bursts of information, web sites and resources are great, but a tone of "you are a diva Mama with kick-ass shoes" just didn't sit well with me.  The glaring omission from the book was the other parent.  Rarely is there mention of a parenting partner, and when it is made, is usually assumes the missing parent is off earning the paycheck.  Overall I felt it was a bit too much on on how to spend frugally rather than how to live frugally.  There were some passages that reference a dual working family, but they were a bit too few and far between for me.

I did finish the book, but it promptly went back to the library.  If you love to shop, and I mean shop as a sport, then you might enjoy the book.  But, if like me you cringe every time a clerk makes a reference to "Mommy and baby shopping time!!!!!", then you may want to skip it.

No comments:

Post a Comment