Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Back From the Brink -- Living Frugal in Madison, Wisconsin

Want to live frugally?  If that means spending very little money and or resources, then a sure fire way to achieve that is to come down with the stomach virus that worked its way through our home last week.  But, it is not recommended!

Sniffles and colds are common for me; I work with the public and am raising two young children.  Illnesses that knock me off my feet, causing me to sleep a day away (literally) are not common for me.  But the recent illness helped me reboot our hectic little life, and re-appreciate some of the little things in life that are frugal.

  • soup and crackers can constitute a meal;
  • board games on the living room rug with young children make a wonderful, and low cost way to spend an afternoon;
  • washing, sorting, and folding laundry can be great entertainment for small children -- especially when they are compensated for their efforts;
  • raincoats, boots, an umbrella and a walk around the block is an easy way to reconnect with nature even though the weather is not picture perfect; and
  • one tea bag can be used for several cups of soothing drink over the course of an afternoon.
Finally I am back into the flow of my normal life, and will have a little more time to share my thoughts and strategies on being frugal.  To close this post I am sharing a photo from a friend on Facebook....it is from Nellies' Barn Sale.  Little bits of inspiration here and there help me stay on the frugal course.  That board game I referenced was Chutes and Ladders, which I bought for $1.99 at Savers.  I predict years of family fun for the cost of a few hundred pennies.


No comments:

Post a Comment