Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Home Warranty Insurance Renewal

As November creeps into the not so distant future, we found a renewal form in the mail last week.  For $425 we can renew the home warranty insurance policy that came with our house.  Please note, we bought the house in 2010, and this would be our second renewal.  So far we've saved more than $425 each year.  So, with very little discussion, I wrote the check and sent in the slip.

For a frugal couples that is not a big fan of insurances, we like this one for a few reasons:

  • our furnace and air conditioner are beyond their life expectancy.  Replacements are coming, we just don't know when;
  • it covers all appliances, electrical, and mechanical components of our home.  And when we look around we see a lot of things than could go any time (radon pump, water softener, dishwasher, leaky faucet); and
  • scheduling the repair is all too easy.  I call the insurance company, they patch me through to a vendor, an appointment is made, and that 's it.  We have an $85 co-pay and the rest is covered.  The ease of finding a reliable repair person is worth $425 in my mind.  In the past we've struggled to find people who will 1) show up, 2) do quality work, and 3) be trusted.  Every time we've used the home warranty folks I have asked the repair person for their card because I was impressed.
So, there you have it.  We've laid out the cost of a nice weekend getaway for a home warranty.  The point that pushed us into the renewal camp was the ease with which repairs occur.  Life is chaotic with two small kids, two careers pushing two businesses forward.  Time spent trying to get someone to fix the faucet is wasted if we get a less than great company.

Agree, disagree?  Share your thoughts.  I know my brand of frugal is not the typical one written about today.  I am not a total do-it-yourselfer.  I prefer to focus on time with my husband and children, practicing law, and the few household tasks I enjoy (cooking and yard work).  

No comments:

Post a Comment