Friday, November 23, 2012

Leftovers and Trimming the Tree -- A Day in a Frugal Home

The day after!  And the fridge is stocked with leftovers.  This year there is a lot more turkey than prior years. So much that I'll need to brainstorm some ways to put it to use as well as freeze it.  Suggestions are welcome!

Yesterday we also gave a Cuisinart ice cream machine a whirl.  On loan from a friend we discovered one short fall.  The canister needs to be in the freezer for a longtime in order to make a batch.  Lesson learned, treat enjoyed a day late.  But the result was amazing.  We'll enjoy the loan, and search on-line for a sale.  The thing that struck me most was pouring the sugar into the batch it hit me, wow ice cream is sugary.  I knew that, but now I know it.  That is one benefit of making your own food; increased awareness about what you are really eating.  The cost of the machine is approximately $75.  That, plus ingredients, will be off set by not buying store bought tubs.  I also think it will be healthier.  One question I want to research is using honey or agave nectar in place of sugar.  It will also be a great way to use frozen fruits or those that are about to expire.  I see a lot of promise in this purchase, and now want to search out a good bargain.

Overall our day was a quite one.  In addition to the food, I put up the tree with the kids.  My husband put in a few extra hours on a client's electrical needs.  When you are a dual self-employed home, you are thankful for long days of work, never knowing when a dry spell may hit.  The decorating was punctuated by a visit from family, allowing me to meet the latest member of my paternal family tree.  What an adorable child!  Here is a photo of the finished job.  Most decorations were purchased at a second hand shop, picked up on nature walks (i.e. pinecones) or given to us as gifts.  Holiday cheer is possible without maxing out a credit card.

M. Gustafson Gervasi, 2012 -- a frugal home ready for the winter holidays

No rushing about.  No parking lots.  No increased carbon footprint.  Just yummy leftovers, decorating the tree with the fire on, and bonus family time.   Yesterday's newspaper ran an article on a women who calls herself the coupon lady.  According to her plan, you can shop and shop, bringing home lots of stuff for mere pennies.  It seems that most books these days on frugal living really focus on how to shop as much as possible and spend as little as possible.  It's not for me.  My time is precious, and I want it focused on my family, health or career.  Shopping is not entertainment, but a chore to be completed with as little time and expense as possible.  And that is why I focused on quite time at home today, passing up the so-called Black Friday bargains.  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment