Thursday, November 1, 2012

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Loyal readers of this blog will know that this time of year I spend a lot of time roasting pie pumpkins.  Rich in vitamins and fiber, they are far less expensive than canned pumpkin....and a lot cheaper.  This past week a the farmers' market I bought another three.  And while chatting with the vendor, was reminded to roast the pumpkins seeds as well.  Following his tip, I soaked them in salt water overnight, then roasted at 350 degrees for 15 minutes (drizzle olive oil).  Delightful and healthy snack.  I literally use every bit of those pie pumpkins: roasted seeds, roasted "meat", and the rest goes into compost to fertilize future flowers.

So, when you are at a farmers' market I highly recommend you take a few moments and chat with the vendor.  He or she like knows the produce well, and likely has ideas for use well beyond your normal routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment